- One should consider the following factors in Birth chart while determining one’s profession and career:-
- The Planets in the Tenth House.
- Planets Aspecting the Tenth House.
- Lord of the Tenth House.
- 10th lord & Dispositor in Navamsa D-9.
- Artha Trikonas: 2nd, 6th and 10th houses.
- Navamsa (D-9) & Dasamsa (D-10).
- 10th House Karakas: Sun, Merc, Sat and Jup.
- Lagna (Ascendant)
- This shows the true self of the native at a physical/ body level.
- Chandra Lagna (Moon Lagna)
- The Moon Lagna indicates one’s inclinations, ambitions, happiness, views, liking for things around him and what he loves or is inclined to do.
For example: If the 10th house from the Lagna is under the influence of Saturn, then the native may be hardworking and doing a routine job. But Mars in the 10th house from the Moon will make him active and enterprising.
- Surya Lagna (Sun Lagna)
- The Surya Lagna indicates physical vitality. A strong 10th house from the Sun will give immense strength to fight against all odds in spite of a weak physical body, structure, or environment.
- Arudha Lagna (Pada Lagna)
- AL shows the perceived self. It shows the maya associated with the person. The true self is hidden inside the person and the world cannot see it.
- Arudha means, “risen one” and it shows what rises and becomes visible to the material world. AL shows one’s image and status in career. The 10th house from AL shows the forces supporting one’s image. Natural benefics in the 10th house from AL gives a good image and malefics give a bad image etc.
- Paaka Lagna
- Paaka Lagna is the sign where the Lagna Lord is placed. Similarly, every house has its own Paaka Sthana.
- Paaka Lagna throws light on matters related to the physical self (i.e. how the native uses his potential at a given moment or opportunity).
- Ghatika Lagna
- Ghatika lagna is at the position of Sun at the time of sunrise.
- This is also called “Ghatika Lagna” (GL). The GL is used to see ones position in society, or, more accurately it is a seat of Power and/or Influence in the chart. Its placement and strength will be important when examining a chart for rise or decline in position of power and authority as it relates to the 5th house.
- Hora Lagna
- Hora Lagna is at the position of Sun at the time of sunrise. It moves at the rate of one Rasi per hora (hour). HL is used to see ones Wealth, and it is also related to the 2nd house of the native’s chart.
- The planet(s) in the 10th house, its lord or 10th Lord’s navamshesh and planets aspecting it indicates one’s career. If there are more than one planet then we have to take the following considerations, such as: –
- Do the planets influence each other mutually (Drishti Sambandha)?
- Are there any yoga’s formed by the conjunction of these planets?
- If there are no planets in the 10th house, then we have to consider the 10th lord and various planetary influences on 10th house
Planets in the Tenth House
- Look for special conditions, such as retrogression, combustion, graha-yuddha, or debilitation.
- Vipareet Raja-Yoga is important to see w.r.t. Career, as a person may fall badly from his career, yet may suddenly get re-hired into a better position.
- All these Yogas must also be seen with the reference of the 10th from Moon, Sun, Lagna, AL, etc.
10th lord and its placement
- It is important to see the 10th lord’s placement with other houses in judging one’s career.
- You can read any standard texts for the detailed explanations on the 10th lord placement in various houses. So I will not go into all of the principles here, but some of them are:-
- Tenth lord in Angles (1st, 4th, 7th and 10th): Generally good because these are Vishnu’s Sthana.
- Tenth Lord in Trines (1st, 5th and 9th): Good because these are Lakshmi’s Sthana and they lead to prosperity.
- Tenth lord in 2nd (finance/wealth) or 11th (fulfillment/gains): Wealth giving places.
- Tenth lord in 3rd house: Since it is an Upachaya house, so hard working and good for career.
- If the 10th lord is placed in the 3rd or 5th houses, the native has short lasted jobs. This is because they are the 6th and 8th houses from the 10th.
- Tenth lord in 6th, 8th and 12th (Trik): One can expect ups and downs, obstacles, and changes (not always bad though rise and fall are quite dramatic some times). Here 6th is probably better since it is an Upachaya house as they denote improvement / growth.
- Importance of 2nd and 11th Houses
- The native’s source of income is seen from the 11th house. Let us take an example, if Mercury is the tenth lord and is placed in the 11th house and it is with Mars and in D-10 in a fiery sign, then the native may be an accountant (mercury) employed with defense / military (Mars and fiery Dasamsa). Here 10th determines the native’s profession and 11th house determines the source of income.
- In this manner we should properly scrutinize both houses. Second house is the house of wealth and finances. In fact, second house and the eleventh house and their lords should be strong for a financially rewarding career. I will describe various Dhana Yoga’s in this article later.
- Importance of 5th House
- The 5th house is the 8th from the 10th, representing birth (beginning) and longevity of the 10th house. Thus, the 5th house rules the authority and power that one enjoys due to one’s skills and knowledge as well as Purva Punya (5th House). The timing of joining a new job is done from the 5th house.
- Importance of 6th and 7th Houses
- The 6th house rules service and the 7th house rules business. If there are more planets in the sixth house, or it is stronger, service is indicated. A stronger 7th house gives a business enterprise.
- Similarly, the 6th lord promotes service while the 7th lord promotes business. The Dasa period of 7th lord may bring instability in service. A debilitated malefic in the 7th house or malefics in the 8th house (being 2nd from 7th), will encourage service and damage business. Saturn in 7th house is karaka for 6th; hence the native will still be doing service. Similarly Venus is karaka for 7th and if placed in the 6th, will do some kind of business.
- The boss is seen from the 9th house while subordinates are seen from the 5th house. During the period of a malefic planet having Papa Argala on the 9th house, one is tormented by one’s boss. Benefics having Subha Argala on the 9th house shall give a very good and helpful boss.
- In a chart showing potential for employment, the concerned houses for self are the 1st, 6th and 10th. The 3rd house from these (the 3rd, 8th and 12th) can cause problems. The 8th house will show retirement, the 3rd house shows short leave, while the 12th house shows long leave.
- The ascendant lord in the 9th house makes a person very independent and business is best advised to native such charts or at least employment with a lot of scope for free enterprise. The 2nd house is the 8th from the 7th house and shall play a crucial role in starting any business.
- Similarly, the starting of any business is determined by the availability of finance. The quadrants to the 2nd house are the 5th, 8th and llth houses, indicating the money that is put in by the partner (5th house is 11th from the house of partner i.e. 7th), loans from banks etc., and the self respectively.
- Importance of 8th House:
- The 8th house, being the 11th from the 10th house, is the place of retirement or end of career. The 8th house, if beneficially disposed, can give huge loans to take up large enterprises and its Argala on the 7th and 10th houses can give a new boost to business. If ill disposed, one’s business will run into endless debt and ruin the business.
Debilitated planets and its effects in Dasa
- Debilitated planets in 3rd, 6th or 8th houses will behave as strong as exalted planets. This is especially true if such planets are also in Marana Karaka Sthana. Also, debilitated and retrograde malefics in kendras will produce the effects of Raja-yoga in their Dasa periods, and especially if kendra and the trinal planets are conjoining or aspecting. Finally, exalted but retrograde planets will produce weak results.
- The Dasa periods of retrograde planets with respect to Career could bring the fulfillment of strong career desires that the native has held for many lifetimes.
Combinations for some professions
- Lawyer or Judge
- The 6th house (court cases) and the 9th house (law) are important when looking for career in law. Jupiter rules law and the two signs owned by Jup are Sg and Pi, so these two houses represent the law too. Li is the most important sign to look into, as it is the sign of judgment and it is also an airy sign.
- If the above are strong and connected with the tenth house & Lagna then the native’s career will be connected with law. If Le and Sun also get involved in the above, then the native surely will receive income from the Government and the native may be a judge or a government lawyer. Please note, Sat connected with Li and the 10th house or Jupiter gives legal career too.
- Defense and Police Personnel
- The signs owned by Mars are Aries and Scorpio and they are important for police / defense related professions. The 3rd house (valour) and 6th house (wars) will also be prominent in the horoscope too. In fact, one has to consider all the fiery signs for defense and police related professions.
- In the horoscopes of Astrologers Jup, Merc and Airy signs should be prominent. Further if 2nd house is powerful then it gives knowledge and also “Vaksiddhi” (Vaksiddhi means, whatever the person predicts will come to pass by the practice of Satya and prophecy).
- If 5th house is powerful and 5th lord is also connected to the Mars (an airy signs), then one gets intuition. Thus it is important to have a strong 5th house for being a competent astrologer.
- One has to see the prominence of nodes in a native’s horoscopes of Engineers. Mars indicating tools, Sat the use of these tools and Ven, which gives refinement to their use, are also prominent in the horoscopes of Engineers.
- Medical Profession
- Sun, Mars and Jup should be strong along with Ketu who is always prominent in horoscopes of doctors. Sun rules the soul (also healing) and is the “life-giving planet”. Sc rules drugs, medicines etc and therefore, its lord Mars should also be connected with the 10th house.
- Rahu is important for medical careers, given its connection to drugs and poisons. If Mars or Ketu or Mercury (skin and cuts) is strongly connected with the tenth house and its lord, it makes the native a surgeon.
- Venus is the Karaka of fine arts, music and dancing. Its association with Moon, Mercury, and Jup gives artistic talent to the native. Houses owned by Venus, i.e. Ta and Li, should be prominent. 3rd house and Merc should also be prominent. 5th and 6th lord should show creative abilities so these houses should also be connected too.
- In cases of singers and poets, 2nd house will also be prominent because 2nd house rules speech.
Judgment of Loss & Gain in Career in Dasamsa
- The following are some indicators of a good career or rise in career in the Dasamsa: –
- Strong 10th House in D-10: Status, recognition and great achievements
- Planets in the Lagna or Lagna lord in D-10
- Planets in Kendras and Trikonas
- Dasa lord or Antardasa lord getting connected to the D-10 Lagna
- All results indicated by a planet in the Rasi and D-Chart come to fructification in their Dasa, Antardasa and Transits.
Planets in Kendras
- The Kendra houses are the angles of the chart and they are 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th. These are considered the most powerful houses of all (in ascending order). Being Vishnu’s Sthana, planets in Kendras are auspicious. Even malefics in Kendras are not bad for career.
Planets in Trikonas
- The Trikona houses are 1st, 5th and 9th and these are the most auspicious houses of all. Being Lakshmi’s Sthana, they symbolize prosperity. Planets in Trikonas in D-10 are also good. Planets in or lords of 1st, 5th and 9th are good for career.
- Please make a note; while placement of any planet in 5th or 9th is highly auspicious, it might not be so in all cases where the 10th lord is in 5th or 9th. This is because these are the 8th and 12th from the 10th, and thus could prove to bring obstacles or loss of career if the 10th lord therein is afflicted. Similarly the 3rd house is the 6th from the 10th.
Planets in Trikonas
- In my studies, I have found that people often lose or change the careers when the Dasa of the 10th lord placed in these houses comes into effect. This of course, would be different if the native’s career were associated with education, spirituality, counseling, coaching, art and music as in the 3rd lord etc.
Planets in Dusthanas
- Dusthana’s are 6th (makes us to work harder), 8th (gives end of work) and 12th (gives end/change of profession) signify difficulties, obstacles, and struggles. Therefore the planets in 6th, 8th and 12th in D-10 indicate difficulties, tensions, and worries with respect to career especially if they are unaspected by lagna lord or 10th lord. If aspected by the Lagna Lord or 10th Lord gives initial difficulties followed by relief.
- When the Dusthana’s lords of D-10 are related to the 10th house or 10th lord, the Dasa or Antardasa may be tough.
Planets in Dusthanas
- Antardasa lord in 6th, 8th and 12th from Dasa lord in D-10 indicates difficulties and tensions with the following modifications:
- If the Antardasa lord is not in 6th, 8th and 12th from Dasa lord in the Rasi chart, and is well placed or if he is in the 4th or 10th in the Rasi chart, then initial difficulties which are overcome with eventual success.
- Note: However, if the native is a police officer or soldier, for example, then lagna lord or 10th lord in the 6th (in strength) will be important for career. Individuals who do research or investigation, science or diagnostics, surgery, as well as astrology and metaphysics, are going to have strong planets in the 8th house. Persons who work in hospitals or prisons, as well as monasteries or churches, or who relocate to foreign countries as part of their professions, are going to have strong career-related planets in the 12th house.
Planets in the Upachayas
- Upachayas are houses of growth or improvement. Planets in these houses i.e. 3rd, 6th, 10th, 11th generally give good results eventually with somewhat hard work and struggle.
- The benefics are good in the 10th and 11th. Benefics are fine in the 3rd, and may not be good in the 6th. Malefics in the Upachayas are generally good.
Transits and the Dasamsa
- The following planets promote the career matters, so observe their transits:
- Planets in the 10th and 10th lord in D-10
- Lagna lord and lagna in D-10
- 10th house and its lord in Rasi
- Planets in the 10th in D-10 can trigger a rise in career or some favorable event with respect to career while transiting over the D-10 lagna or D-10 lagna lord.
- D-10’s tenth lord’s transit over the Rasi’s 10th house or Rasi’s 10th lord can also trigger some favorable event or rise in career, especially during the Dasa or Antardasa of such lords.
Transits and the Dasamsa
- When we analyze a chart from all the above-mentioned angles, we will be able to categorize the various points as follows:
- A planet is benefic in the Rasi and well placed in the Dasamsa: Rise in career, achievements in public life, position, honor and great results (mahat phalam).
- A planet is benefic in the Rasi but badly placed in the Dasamsa: Will give results, but after some struggle.
- A planet owns a malefic house (3rd, 6th, 8th and 12th) in Rasi and placed in benefic places in Dasamsa: Maleficience gets greatly reduced, with respect to career matter only.
- A planet is bad in both the Rasi and Dasamsa: Fall, disgrace, or suspension etc are possible.
Transits and the Dasamsa
- Transits are to be studied from both the Moon and the Lagna. While studying transit from the lagna, remember the following points:
- See and study the transits in the same manner as planets in their natal position. The planets transiting 6th, 8th or 12th become weak.
- Give special attention to the transits of major and sub-period lords. If the transit 6th, 8th or 12th or their debilitation sign or are combust in transit, then adverse results are experienced.
- Transit of Jupiter over natal position of a planet is good. Jupiter if in transit aspects the natal position of major lord or sub period lord gives beneficial results.
Transits and the Dasamsa
- Jupiter activates the sign it transits. It also activates a Raja Yoga or Dhana Yogas when it aspects in transit. This will be so even if the Dasa of the concerned planets in not in operation.
- Saturn, when transiting over natal position of a planet, gives misfortunes. Its aspect is also bad. Saturn transiting in the 7th from or over natal Sun causes unfortunate developments in a native’s career. Operating sub period lord decides whether the native will overcome these adversities or not.
- Benefics transiting over natal position of Dasa lord help the native and malefics cause difficulties to the native.
- The tenth house has Argala on the 6th, 7th, 9th and 12th houses. Thereby directly affecting enemies, servants, fortune, and sleep that are ruled by these houses and other matters.
- The 11th, 1st, 2nd, and 8th houses have Argala on the 10th house and are capable of affecting the actions and other matters ruled by the tenth house. Thus gains, self, net profit, loss, which will influence decisions and actions. In this manner, the Argala’s and their obstruction should be understood and should be used with reference to Dasa ’s.
- In addition, we have to see whether the following Yoga’s are present and functional in native’s chart:
- Raja Yogas (for power, authority and prosperity)
- Dhana Yogas (for wealth)
- Lakshmi Yoga (for wealth and prosperity)
- Arishta (Poverty) Yogas (which gives poverty to the native)
- Neecha Bhanga Raja Yogas
- Vipareeta Raja Yoga
- Dasamsa Deities associated with each of the 10 directions, which are the cornerstones of the Dasamsa chart. These are the same directional Deities as are ascribed to the Kalachakra. Planets in transit in Nakshatras aligned with spokes on the Kalachakra that are malefic, may bring many troubles to the person.
- For example, if the 10th lord in a Nakhsatra pertaining to the Northeast direction, this could bode auspicious for the native as that direction is ruled by Isana and suggest blessings.
- On the other hand, if a natal or annual planet pertaining to career and work (10th lord, AmK planet, Sun or other natural karaka, or lagna lord) were in a nakhsatra pertaining to the southern or southwestern directions as per the Kalachakra, then it could bode as evil for the native, as these are ruled by Yama and Niritti respectively (death and curses).