Maharishi Parsara was the son of Ved Vyasa. He was the one who has written a huge volume on Jyotisa which is referred by all astrologers. Its name is Brhat Parasara Hora sastra.
1. I now explain the effects of Karma Bhava. Listen to these, o Maitreya, in the words of Brahma, Garga and others.
2. Paternal Happiness. If Karm’s Lord is strong and in exaltation, or in its own Rashi/Navans, the native will derive extreme paternal happiness, will enjoy fame and will perform good deeds.
3. If Karm’s Lord is devoid of strength, the native will face obstructions in his work. If Rahu is in an angle, or in a trine, he will perform religious sacrifices, like Jyotishtoma.
4. If Karm’s Lord is with a benefic, or be in an auspicious Bhava, one will always gain through royal patronage and in business. In a contrary situation, only opposite results will come to pass.
5. Should Karm and Labh Bhava be both occupied by malefics, the native will indulge only in bad deeds and will defile his own men.
6. If the Lord of Karm Bhava is relegated to Randhr Bhava along with Rahu, the native will hate others; be a great fool and will do bad deeds.
7. If Sani, Mangal and Karm’s Lord are in Yuvati, as Yuvati’s Lord is with a malefic, the native will be fond of carnal pleasures and of filling his belly.
8-10 Should Karm’s Lord be in exaltation and be in the company of Guru, as Dharm’s Lord is in Karm the native will be endowed with honour, wealth and valour. One will lead a happy life, if Labh’s Lord is in Karm and Karm’s Lord is in Lagn, or, if the Lord of Karm Bhava is yuti with the Lord of Labh Bhava in an angle. Should Karm’s Lord in strength be in Meen along Guru, the native will doubtless obtain robes, ornaments and happiness.
11. Should Rahu, Surya, Sani and Mangal be in Labh Bhava, the native will incur cessation of his duties.
12. One will be learned and wealthy, if Guru is in Meen along with Sukr, while Lagn’s Lord is strong and Candr is in exaltation.
13. Should Karm’s Lord be in Labh, while Labh’s Lord is in Tanu Bhava and Sukr is in Karm, the native will be endowed with precious stones.
14. If the Karm’s Lord is exalted in an angle, or a trine and is yuti with Guru, or receives a Drishti from Guru, one will be endowed with deeds.
15. Should Karm’s Lord be in Lagn along with Lagn’s Lord, as Candr is in an angle, or in a trine, the native will be interested in good deeds.
16. If Sani is in Karm Bhava along with a debilitated Grah, while Karm Bhava in the Navans Kundali is occupied by a malefic, the native will be bereft of acts.
17. One will indulge in bad acts, if Karm’s Lord is in Randhr Bhava, while Randhr’s Lord is in Karm Bhava with a malefic.
18. Obstructions to the native’s acts will crop up, if Karm’s Lord is in fall, as both Karm Bhava and the 10th from Karm Bhava have malefic occupations.
19-21. Combinations for Fame. One will be endowed with fame, if Candr is in Karm Bhava, while Karm’s Lord is in a trine from Karm Bhava and Lagn’s Lord is in Lagn’s angle. Similar effects will come to pass, if Labh’s Lord is in Karm Bhava, while Karm’s Lord is strong and gives a Drishti to Guru. Fame will come to the native, if Karm’s Lord is in Dharm Bhava, as Lagn’s Lord is in Karm Bhava and Candr is in Putr Bhava.
22. O excellent of the Brahmins, thus have been told about the effects of Karm Bhava in a brief manner. Other related effects be guessed by you based on the relationship of the Lords of Lagn and of Karm Bhava.